Touching Africa is proud to be associated with the Haraka Wildlife Initiative.
Touching Africa is an organisation built up over a period of more than 30 years that gives a corporate framework to a dream of making a difference in Africa. The dream is to contribute to sustainable growth and development, to ultimately realize the full potential and calling of Africa on a global scale. It is achieved through the integration of the following three sectors: 1. Network of more than 500 like-minded vision-based businesses, organisations and individuals; 2. Need in the African community and society; 3. Funding and supporting mechanisms. This creates a trustworthy platform for investment and trade in order to change society.
Projects, programmes and services are then implemented through one (or more) of seven primary co-operatives, namely:
- Integrated Development Services
- Trade and Tourism
- Agricultural Services
- Enterprise Development
- Training and Education Services
- Corporate and Business Services
- Community and Social Development Services.
The diagram below summarises this process:
Touching Africa has representatives in almost every economic industry sector, namely:
- Agriculture, agribusiness and food
- Water, sanitation and waste
- Mining and minerals
- Alternative energy
- ITC, ICT and software development
- Trade, tourism, conservation and hospitality
- Entertainment and media
- Financial services, banking and funding
- Health care
- Education and training
- Sport and recreation
- Social services
- Business services
- Rural and urban development
Below is a selection of solutions and services rendered by the different professional network businesses and initiatives, relevant to the Haraka Wildlife Initiative:
- Integration and alignment between all skills, services and solutions
- Programme, project and fund management
- Scientists and engineers involved with solutions in water supply, sanitation, alternative energy, human settlement, communication and security
- Invest Rural with investment in rural communities through traditional leadership, providing water, sanitation and agriculture development
- Integrated agriculture solutions across the entire value chain for commercial as well as community based agriculture development
- Strategic regional integrated planning through town and regional planners
- Wildlife and conservation management, training and skills transfer
- Access of the unbanked to the Co-Operative Financial Institution
- Environmentally friendly products
- Education and training programmes
- Legal services
- Financial services
- Media and entertainment
- Enterprise development
- Community and social development services.
Herewith a selection of existing on-going community and social development projects that can be duplicated as part of the HWI, if and where relevant:
- Seboni: vegetable gardens and creative training centre.
- Real Life Centre, Ahava School: school, training and skills transfer.
- BEEP: entrepreneurship training.
- STOP: human trafficking.
- Banna Ba Kae and iDuc: gender based violence.
- Touching Africa Zambia: Community based agriculture and food production.
- Anti-bully: campaign at schools throughout SA.
- King’s Institute: on-line higher education.
- Potch Programme for change: shelter development and job creation.
- We Move Lifestyle: lifestyle programmes through sport, art, fitness, motivation and business programmes.
- Sizanani: health, social and sustainable livelihood programmes.
- Invest Rural: stimulate local development in rural areas through traditional leaders.
- Metsi-a-Batho: water supply to communities, including operation and maintenance as well as source development
- Dignity-through-Housing: taking existing houses, big or small, and further restore dignity by the development of amenities such as on-site water, sanitation, alternative energy, communication and security solutions.
Touching Africa functions within the following operational principles:
- We undertake to acknowledge our Faith Conviction as point of departure in all our operations.
- Our Ethical Commitment is to adhere to the ethical code for businesses as defined by the Unashamedly Ethical Agreement – to manage and administrate all actions with integrity.
- We commit to the principles of sustainability to meet the needs of the present without compromising resources for future generations.
- We undertake to live out our purpose with passion as driving force on all levels of activities.
- We honor small beginnings within the understanding of the bigger picture.
- We value the power of visionary unity, although we treasure the rich diversity in our midst.
- We cultivate an open mind-set in order to have a cross-cultural approach within the diverse community of Africa.
- We advocate a holistic approach during all development in order to ensure an integrated intervention to the benefit of the African community.
- We undertake to acknowledge the importance of the end user in all services rendered.
- We commit that our project actions will be shaped by the recognition that ownership must be taken by project beneficiaries, in order to ensure sustainability.